Monday 4 February 2013

Shopping around the world - Department Stores



Exactly two years ago, I moved to London. Before hand, I lived in the US (Missouri, believe it or not) for a year and a half, and I spent the first years of my life in France... 
What I always found challenging when going to a different country is to find points of reference. Some things as simple as shopping for shampoo can become a nightmare when you don’t know the country, or even worst, the language.
I thought I would do a small around-the-world shopping guide, based on my experiences. In order to make it as relevant as possible I will compare the different places I have been to, so you know exactly what to expect! My comparisons are based on the products offered, the quality, brands, price range.

Today’s section will be about department stores! And here are my shopping equations:

Harrods (London, UK) = Bergdorf (NYC,USA)
Selfridges (London, UK) = Le Bon Marche (Paris, FR) = SaksFifth Avenue (USA)
Macy’s (USA) = Printemps (FR) = Houseof Fraser (UK)
JCPenney (USA) = Debenhams (UK)
Target (USA) = Monoprix (FR) = Mark & Spencer (UK)

I apologize if I don’t have an equivalent for every country, either there is none or I just need to travel more! 
I will do this type of article about different store type (beauty stores, clothes, furniture,…) again in the future. Please let me know if there is any type you want me to cover specifically.

Have a lovely week!


No comments:

Post a Comment